Here is an outline of my workflow for paper documents (normally received via snail mail)
- Is it trash? – if yes: dump it and exit
- Scan the document (as pdf)
- Name the file “yyyymmdd name.pdf”
- File the paper – filing of paper will be discussed in a separate post.
- File the scan in my private folder “scans” on my MS SkyDrive account
- Link in my diary
(I have a private WordPress blog I use as my personal diary – will be covered in a separate post). I post a link here, since often I’m searching for a paper I received “sometime last summer”.
- Optional: additional link in my wiki (will be covered in a separate post)
e.g. if it is a letter from my insurance company I also link it from the appropriate entry in my wiki
- Optional: extract information from the letter and put it in my wiki
e.g. new insurance number…